Do you need a coach to be an entrepreneur? EP. 1
In our first episode of This Miserable Job, we talk about the importance of having a coach or a mentor to get to the next step in your entrepreneurial journey. We talk about the mentors that we have had over the years and how that has contributed to developing expertise that people are willing to pay for and the courage to quit our 9 to 5.
You will also learn about Craig’s journey to being a professional artist.
Outline of This Episode:
[0:15] Introduction – Many roads to entrepreneurship.
- [0:54] Fred Flintstone & Barney Rubble – the idea of being an artist is born.
- [2:45] Coleen’s Family Environment – the side hustle mentality.
- [4:10] Craig’s Family Environment – the family business.
- [8:15] Craig on finding his niche in art [Mentioned Pablo Picasso].
- [10:36] Knowing when to get additional training, education or a coach.
- [11:35] Atul Gawande: Personal Best – Humility, and what makes a good coach [Mentioned the book The Checklist Manifesto].
- [15:35] “Get in the car” – Craig’s dad as his art coach, the role of parents as coaches.
- [18:37] Role of formal education – Teacher as mentor.
- [20:25] Importance of brand identity and personal branding.
- [22:29] Artist’s struggle – creating someone else’s vision vs. personal vision.
- [24:10] Drawing a Picture of God – TED Talk by Sir Ken Robinson.
- [25:14] Behind the Scenes – Naming the Podcast.